Monday, November 15, 2010

kite runner section 3

        The book has ended and  although I am not a fan of books, I have discovered that this is not such a bad novel. It was boring at first and I thought the book was bulky, but then the author picked it up in the middle and end. Although a lot has changed since the beginning, I still find comparisons in the third section of the book.
        Assef returns in this section and once again becomes Amir's enemy. This is shown when Assef puts on brass knuckles and decides to fight him for Sohrab. Amir's dependence on Hassan is replaced by his dependence on Sohrab, Hassan's son. When he was a child, Hassan defended Amir from Assef. In the fight, Sohrab defeats Assef with a slingshot. After the fight, Amir gets a cut on his lip that resembles Hassan's harelip. Not everything is the same though. The story began in the Afghan city of Kabul. The novel ends in America.
        The ending has loose strings. The author never tells when Sohrab starts speaking after he arrives in America. The fate of Assef is never known as well as that of Rahim Khan's. I decided to try to answer the questions myself. I don't have an answer for the first question, but I think that Assef survives the fight, but is blinded in one eye. Rahim Khan dies as a hermit.
        I did not get the hospital part where Amir wakes up and fades out after brief moments of consciousness. He starts talking about the hospital staff and what their names were. What does it have to do with the story or plot? What is the importance of this and what would it symbolize? I believe those moments aren't relevant to the story. They do explain that Amir is not crazy after taking the beating because his brain is able to remember the names of the staff at the hospital.
        Now that the book is over, I would rate it an eight out of ten. Not spectacular, but worth your time. Eight is a high score because reading is not my favorite hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment