Wednesday, November 3, 2010

facebook is distracting

        Facebook is an addicting website and I have to admit it's distracting when I do my homework. There are a ton of stuff to do on that site. You can make friends, take quizzes, like random pages and chat which is mentioned in the upcoming quote from Bassam's blog:
Then when I'm on the Internet I all of a sudden log on to facebook and I see all my friends are on line so I talk to them and most of them are trying to get away from there homework. So I talk to them and one thing leads to the other and next thing you know I am gossiping about every one and I look at the time and I have been on the Internet for at least two hours then in the end I am two hours behind and try to make up all the work in a hour. 
As you can see above, chat seems to be the main culprit. Who wouldn't get sucked into that? After spending hours on homework, anyone can get lonely. Facebook is the solution to that and soon, the victim will be doing other stuff other than chatting.
        Chatting leads to other activities. For example when someone logs on, they see a wall full of people who have commented. This drives curiosity and the next thing you know, you're checking out what your friend or friends' friends said. Sometimes there are links to quizzes and you feel like taking that quiz just to say how you rank or what you are. See how a simple chat leads to so much time wasting. This is called the snowball effect.
        I combat this addiction by closing the Facebook tab like I am doing as I type this. And now I have logged back on. You could also do your homework while chatting on facebook. This task requires the ability to multitask. If you're homework involves typing, you could minimize both the typing program and browser so they share the screen. This way, you could type while seeing what your friends are saying. If you don't have Facebook, I would recommend it if you could make up for the time you are distracted.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment