Friday, March 11, 2011

house on mango street trees symbolism

       Trees give us life, yet in The House on Mango Street, the trees are not given respect. What could this mean? We can compare trees to groups of people on Earth. Sandra Cisneros personifies the trees to make this comparison more valid. The three vignettes I will use to support my point are "Meme Ortiz" on page 22, "There Was An Old Woman She Had So Many Children She Didn't Know What To Do" on page 29, and "Four Skinny Trees" on page 74.
        Before I read any of the quotes, I guessed that trees are a positive subject. I soon found out I was wrong. "This is the tree we chase for the First Annual Tarzan Jumping Contest. Meme won. And broke both arms."(pg. 22). At first, I was confused about the last sentence. It sounded like Meme broke her arms. Then, I understand that they broke the tree's arms while jumping on it. The kids treat the tree like it is some sort of playground and not a living thing which it is. I understand immediately that trees represent some sort of outcasts on which people take advantage of.
        To confirm my answer, I go to another vignette that mentions trees. This vignette discusses how Rose Vargas has too many kids."The kids bend trees and bounce between cars..."(pg. 29). It's obvious that the kids are breaking the tree. Another interpretation is that the kids are bullying the tree. They are bending the tree against the tree's will. In addition to being taken advantage of, the trees are victims of bullies.
        In this following quote, the trees are personified. They are compared to Esperanza. "They are the only ones who understand me. I am the only one who understands them. Four skinny trees with skinny necks and pointy elbows like mine. Four who do not belong her but are here."(pg. 74). I would just like to say that this quote is saying how Esperanza isn't wanted just like the trees. In addition, the quote confirms how trees are symbols of outcasts. The adjective "skinny" is used to describe the trees because they are weak and fragile and thus vulnerable to bullying.

No comments:

Post a Comment